W – We need to buy this home
O – Oh my goodness, this is the home we have been looking for
W – We put an offer in!
As you all may know by now, or not if this is our first time “meeting” – I really truly love a good acronym and yes I will make them up myself if I have to! I think this may have something to do with my childhood as it helps me remember lists, descriptions, places anything really. But I digress, ok it’s a tough business getting your home on the market. You need to stand out from the crowd and this is something we are truly passionate about as home organizers and home designer.
So we wanted to share with your our key points on how to achieve the W.O.W factor and get ahead of the competition:
- Remove/rearrange furniture – as they say; less is more. The furniture might be working for your your family but think about potential buyers. They want to be able to see their furniture in the space. Less clutter allows them to see the space and the space looks larger.
- We don’t often suggest this but if you need to after you have minimized and kept only what “sparks” joy then go ahead and use a storage unit to keep the excess items in. Keep a detailed inventory of everything that is in there. If you have any items you are unsure of store them together and if you have not opened them in 1 year after moving in, then you know the drill…..donate, trash or recycle.
- Refresh your decor by maybe replacing some accessories. A few new frames, throw pillows, a refreshed centre piece on the table. Remove any family pictures. If they are hung on the wall, consider heading to Ikea or Home Sense and buy a few inexpensive frame to replace them with.
- Fresh flowers & plants. No need to turn your house into a greenhouse but some greenery and flowers/color can go a long way on making your space look fresh and attractive.
- Lastly, if the house hasn’t been painted in over ten years consider repainting (at least the main living area.) A neutral color is always a good idea. Light grey, beige, grieve, off white are the most commonly used. It will make the space look lighter and bigger.
Now that you have all this great information and your home will sell faster grab our Move Out Checklist so you can be ahead of the game when it comes time to moving.